Walk it like you Talk it!!!

                …. or You'll Lose That Beat, is a 1974 comedy-drama Hollywood film!

But today’s context of this phrase means having buddy mentoring programs in Corporate World.
In my almost 20 years of experience, I have had the opportunity of mentoring as well as getting mentored.




First, let me start with a personal experience of mentoring.
                When my daughter was in her 4th std, she scored 74/100 in Maths in her mid-term exams.
I listened to her result but didn’t say anything on that day. Later one day, I just speculated aloud in front of her, that look Mita, Maths is generally a very scoring subject. Either you are 100% right or wrong in the sums you solve. That means if you have understood everything, then you can score full in Maths. So, is it that you have not understood the sums, or is there some other reason? If you have not understood a problem or a sum, then come to me. I will try to help you there.
                She just nodded and (I think) got my point. Because in her final exams of 4th std she scored 98/100, and since then she has never missed any opportunity to score well in Maths.
                What if that day, I hadn’t said those words. Maybe she would have got on scoring any result as she pleased like 74 or 60 or 80. Did she have potential to score more? Yes, she definitely did!!! Just a push from me helped her to recognize it.
                That is why my friends, mentoring is so important and required everywhere, be it personal life or workplace.
                There is a difference between ordering and mentoring. What if I had ordered her that day to score more? Do you think she would have achieved the same result in her final exams?
                Hence, walk it like you talk it!!!



                The only difference between a mentor and mentee is that the mentor is more experienced, and the mentee is just getting on to build on his experiences. At such times, a gentle word of advice,  guidance from the mentor can help tap the true potentials in the mentee, of which he can reap benefits later throughout his life.

                That’s why the song goes…
Walk it, like I talk it (walk it)
Walk it, like I talk it
Take my shoes and walk a mile
Something that you can't do (woo, hey!)
Walk it, like I talk it (walk it)
Walk it, like I talk it!!!


               


     

Comments